Monday, October 24, 2011

My interpretation of Tim Gunn’s List of Essentials

Every year as I prepare to buy new pieces of clothing, I always keep the advice of a couple of people in mind as I contemplate on what to purchase.  I think of my mother’s advice to always have new underwear, to buy the right fit, and to buy timeless pieces and not a slew of fads.  But one that really resonates with me is the advice of Tim Gunn, who as most of you know is fashion consultant on the Bravo’s series Project Runway.   However, what most people don’t know is that Gunn has an impressive resume’ in fashion and design, and in fact was chair of fashion design at Parson’s The New School For Design and is credited with "retooling and invigorating the curriculum for the 21st century."  Gunn has created a list of 10 essential wardrobe items, which are practical pieces you can use to build your own wardrobe around.  These list of items shows you how simple and easy it is to create a stylish and complete closet full of clothing.  I think some of the greatest things about this list is that it’s classic, timeless (you can literally use these items forever), its versatile (you can tailor to fit your own needs), and it will take you from the board room to a dinner party.  So, I’m going to give you my interpretation of this list and you tell me how you would twitch this list of essentials? 

1. Basic Black Dress- the infamous LBD (Little Black Dress). 
Nordstroms
 


 
2. Trench Coat  
Kenneth Cole

3.Dress Pants

Ashley Stewart

Great dress pants and blouse!

 4.Classic Shirt
Nordstroms



5.Jeans - for some reason I have the found the best fit for me to be Ashley Stewart jeans... they fit like a glove!
Ashley Stewart

Ashlet Stewart


6.Any Occasion Top  
Nordstroms

7.Skirt
Lane Bryant

Jibri


 8.Day dress
Nordstroms





9.Jacket  
Forever 21

10.Sweatsuit Alternative -  a comfortable material other than denim for everyday wear





Bonus: One Indulgent Trendy Item
Cashmere Poncho
Metallic Ugg boots!



1 comment: